When God’s Answer is, “No”
One night in the late 1860‟s, little Amy Carmichael sincerely prayed that God would give her blue eyes. As she eagerly looked in the mirror the next morning she was very disappointed to discover that she still had brown eyes. She realized it wasn't that He didn't hear or answer her, it was that His answer was, “No”. Years later as she disguised herself to sneak into the Hindu temples in India she finally had the reason why God had said no; blue eyes would have ruined her disguise and prevented her from saving many children and young women from a life of slavery to the priests and Hindu gods.
We all enjoyed „Missions with Miss Aubree‟ this summer as she told Amy‟s amazing life story and how the work she founded, Dohnavur Fellowship, is still rescuing children and young women today. As with Amy, maybe it will be years before we fully realize why God said, “No” to our pleas for more counselors this summer. Aubree and I became the counselors for the girls and Bob and Mr. Chris for the boys. Yet because Aubree had just shared Amy‟s story with the staff, we were encouraged to trust God and step into those roles looking forward to what He was going to do.
God sightings—God at work
- Despite our small staff, we really had a good summer of ministry and we are praising God for how well the staff supported each other and stepped-up in various ways. Since we didn't‟t have staff and applicants to run the teen base camp, Titus turned his focus to directing the camp program and connecting with our 5 teen staff in the evenings.
- Each week we were blessed with clear and powerful Bible teaching and the campers were attentive.
- Scholarships work to give
young people a life-changing opportunity as this quote from one camper testifies, “We don‟t have the money... Then God kept saying go they [camp] will be happy to help...this week helped my relationship with God to grow.” We are so thankful for those who give to our scholarship fund!
- We saw again how camp is a safe haven and even family for some— Just watching us serve together at camp as a couple and family is huge to some kids.
New at camp:
- Improvements made to our free play area were a big hit—campers‟ faces lit up as they realized the whole area is theirs to simply use their imagination in. There were dragons to be fought, a campsite shelter built, a much loved and chased resident gorilla...super fun to relax and just be kids.
- We also added an air rifle range to our property and programming this year and Mr. Dave is now NRA instructor certified. This is a good introduction to gun safety and marksmanship and we can expand the range in the future.
- Also impressive and a great addition is the earthen oven that the Pioneer Boys built in their campsite.
Thank you for your partnership in this ministry! Gratefully In Christ,
- Bob & Sharon Emmett
Praise & Prayer Requests:
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to soften the hearts of our campers and reveal Christ to them and for those who came to know Jesus to grow and stand fast in their faith
- Pray for wisdom as we seek to continue to build relationships with our campers year round
- For God‟s provision and direction for camp that we would better serve our surrounding communities and local churches
- For Travis and Bonnie as they begin their marriage, finish their schooling, serve at Camp Sankanac, and begin building a prayer and support team for their ministry at camp.
- For better emotional health for Bob
Travis & Bonnie Emmett! August 18, 2018
If you’d like to receive these updates through email or would like more frequent updates (monthly or bi-monthly) sign up for our email list by sending a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This will save us postage and you’ll hear of needs and what God is doing more often!
Upcoming events at camp:
Sept 22 Church picnics
Sept 29th Family Fun Day 1-4pm
Oct 5-8 NYS DEC Trapper’s Ed Camp Oct 12-13 FBC Parishville Teen Retreat Oct Hunter/ Bow Hunter Ed courses